Well folks, I’m up to chapter 10 on my rewrite of my first horror novel. I completed this work some time ago, and had submitted it on a number of occasions, before taking a break to work on other projects, including The Minstrel, my first self-published novella, as well as working on several new novels.
I had wondered why the work was rejected, and upon coming back to the manuscript this year, was horrified (pun definitely intended) by what I saw – poor sentence structure, repeating the same events in subsequent paragraphs . . . the list goes on. Suffice to say, I was embarrassed to have ever submitted it. This just goes to show that taking a break from a manuscript is good for the editing process.
Now, however, the manuscript is finally coming together, and is something I can show without embarrassment. I’m almost halfway through, and have likely trimmed approximately 16000 words from the story.
Almost halfway through now. Soon, I can begin painting the cover and the interior illustrations. With luck, I won’t surpass the size limit on Smashwords for submission. I really do want to include the artwork with this rewrite, which would be 5-6 full color paintings. Guess we’ll find out after the manuscript is finished.
Until next time!
I’m still stoked after publishing my first novella, The Minstrel through the Smashwords Website.
I’m currently editing my first novel, which I started much longer ago than I care to admit. This epic-length tale of horror has undergone many revisions since I first conceived of the story, and this version is by far the best. It seems the time writing other stories (the aforementioned novella as well as two other novels currently in development) gave me enough time off from that particular work to gain a fresh perspective. Originally close to 300k words, I’ve been cutting through it like a scythe, and the result has been a leaner, cleaner narrative.
It’s funny, in a way. When I finished the first draft (and every draft thereafter) I would look down on my creation and say ‘it is good’. But after time away from it, I could see huge plot holes, as well as long expositional paragraphs that were completely unnecessary. I will cut at least 25-30% of the word count by the time I finish. Four chapters are in the can, and the chapter count may even change by the end (currently 22 and an epilogue).
Onward to chapter 5!
Hot on the heels of publishing my novella on Smashwords.com, I’m hard at work re-editing my first novel. I’ve been working on this epic-length tale of dark suspense for some time, and will be creating not only the cover art, but several full-color interior paintings for it as well.
Stay tuned for updates!